From DT Online
Stakes are available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. The more complex shapes such as a Raising Stake are usually made of Cast Iron.
Raising Stakes are sturdy to provide a firm surface against which metal can be hammered when Raising articles made in Beaten Metalwork. The front edge is well rounded to help ensure that it does not cut into the metal being Raised.
- 12oz Hammers (0.45kg) are a good useful size for general work in Design and Technology.
- Larger 2lb hammers (1kg) are used for heavier work such as Blacksmithing for example.
- Smaller hammers (e.g. 4oz and 8oz) are suitable for jewellery work and model engineering applications.
- Brick Hammers between 1lb and 1.5lb weight (450g to 700g) are suitable for school use and are available also with a Scutch Comb Chisel at one end which can be used for shaping brick and masonry.
- A 2lb Lump Hammer (0.9kg) is a good useful size for general work in Design and Technology and home maintenance tasks.
- 2lb to 4lb Sledge Hammers (1-2kg) are a suitable size for general forge-work in Design and Technology since hammers heavier than 4lb would be difficult for students to use.
|Ball Pein Hammer||Blacksmiths Hammers||Brick Hammer||Claw Hammer||Cross Pein Hammer||Lump (or Club) Hammer||Pin Hammer||Sledge Hammer|