Hand Drill Stand Project
From DT Online
Revision as of 20:47, 9 February 2017 by DT Online (Created article)
Young children may have difficulty drilling holes which are truly Square to the surface (e.g. of a disc to make a wheel). A simple Jig can be made which supports a Hand Drill within a sliding frame to assist. In use, one child operates the drill and another holds the work-piece to be drilled.
- All materials and sections commonly available in a secondary school D&T Department
- Clips and fittings to hold the hand drill in position (e.g. plumbers' pipe clips)
- Additional components as researched and identified (e.g. telescopic drawer slides)
- Measure and examine commonly available Hand Drills.
- Visit local primary schools and discuss the problem of drilling holes Square into sheet materials.
- Observe young children drilling small holes in sheet materials.
- Find out about Linkages which may provide a suitable parallel motion (e.g. James Watt Parallel Motion Linkage).
- Research Wood Joints as possible methods of creating the main structure.
- Research components available which may assist.
- Try different Wood Joints to create a main structure
- Explore how a slide can be built up using standard sections
- Consider using components such as a 250mm drawer slide to guide the vertical motion.
Design Development and Construction
One solution with some typical dimensions is shown for guidance.
Testing and Evaluation
- Re-visit a local primary school and observe young children using your Hand Drill Stand
- Does it help them drill holes Square to the surface of sheet materials
- Are young children able to use it?
- Do young children enjoy using it?
- How much would it cost to manufacture?
- Consider how to design and make a simple Jig to hold the work whilst drilling discs to make wheels - ideally one which 'self-centres' the discs.
- Research Iris Diaphram, as used in camera lens to change the aperture size, as a possible approach to a solution.
|Pistol Grip Hand Drill||Double Pinion Handdrill||Pin Vise Model Hand Drill||HSS 1-6mm Twist Drill Set||Bow Drill||Archimedean Spriral Push Drill|