Longship from A3 card
From DT Online
Revision as of 16:55, 18 November 2019 by DT Online
Longships were long elegant craft used by The Vikings to cross the North Sea, first on raiding missions and later to explore and settle in Engand, Ireland, Iceland and beyond. They were a wooden construction with a shallow Draft which meant they could be rowed up shallow rivers as well as across the sea, powered by oars and their large square woollen sail. They could also land on beaches and were light enough to be carried when necessary and tipped upside down to use as a temporary shelter.
Making a Model Longship
A good size model Longship can be made from a single sheet of A3 Medium Card.
- The shape of the hull, the figurehead and the tail can all be cut together;
- The sides may be cut separately with scissors or together by folding the card first;
- Stronger scissors may be needed if cutting through both thicknesses of card together
- The Hull will either need to be covered with plastic packaging tape, or plastic laminated 'shiny' card used, to make it water-resitant.
- It will need a support stand to display it.
Marking out the hull shape
- Start by designing the shape of the Hull and transfer on to A3 Card in Landscape orientation as shown (click on image to enlarge);
- The Figurehead can be kept simple or used as a design activity in itself - the object is to create a 'Dragon Head profile;
Making the hull
- Cut two hull shapes out of Medium Card either separately or by folding the card in two first (it might be difficult to cut together).
- Construct a Deck Frame to separate the two Hull sides using square Stripwood and reinforce with Medium Card triangles;
- Glue the two hull sides to the Deck Frame and leave to dry;
Completing the Longship
- Add a Mast by 'stepping' a length of Dowel into a MDF or Ply Disc and glue to the Deck Frame;
- Add a Main Spar by fixing a length of Dowel across the top of the Mast either by lashing with string and glue or by cutting two holes at right angles into a short length of PVC Tubing;
- Make a Sail out of Thin Card, paint as required and glue along the Main Spar;
- Design and paint Viking Shields on MDF, Ply or Card Discs and glue along the sides of the Hull;
- Add Oars made by squashing the end of Art Straws or Drinking Straws.