From DT Online
Revision as of 10:29, 24 March 2019 by DT Online
Welcome to Design and Technology Online
regularly revised and expanded
DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education. In addition, some sections will be equally relevant to science, mathematics and aspects of art and design.
But DT Online is not just about researching information for its own sake - it is fundamentally about using information to help design and make real products which can be tested in use. DT Online offers a range of facilities to assist.
DT Online is an Amazon Associate. Any purchases from Amazon made via these buttons, or any other Amazon links provided by DT Online, will help to fund the project at no extra cost to yourself and helps us to avoid the distraction of banner advertising.
- Electronics and Control
- explanations of commonly used electronic components and access to the DT Online PCB Designer, enabling them to be used in basic control circuits.
- Food Technology
- information on essential food types with an emphasis on nutrients and dietary requirements.
- Graphics Products
- access to the DT Online Packaging Designer plus details of equipment and techniques used for work in graphics media.
- concepts, components and basic circuits to show how compressed air can be used for control.
- details of common mechanical components plus the principles underlying their use.
- from simple model bridges to calculations of forces in frames with access to the DT Online Structures Gallery
- some consideration of the design of interiors - and schools!
- Management and Planning
- strategies and documentation, including Health and Safety advice, to assist in the general organisation of a design and technology department in schools.
- Topics, Projects and Tasks
- things to make and do which explore the many aspects of knowledge and understanding covered by DT Online
- Materials and Components
- details of the resources required to engage in design and technology activities.
- Skills and Processes
- explanations of the techniques used to make models and products from a wide range of materials.
- Tools and Equipment
- information on the equipment required for designing and making including their safe use and maintenance where relevant.
- Web Sites and Software
- links to other places with useful information relating to designing and making (Note: DT Online will use best endeavours to ensure these selected sites are suitable for school use but ultimately, cannot be held responsible for the content of any external web site)
- Technical Glossary
- an explanation of the terms and concepts encountered in design and technology.
- Buyers Guides
- suggestions are offered in good faith to help users identify suitable products with which to engage in the activities described throughout DT Online. Where appropriate, the examples are given also to illustrate the range and variety available.