Ball Pein Hammer
From DT Online
Ball Pein Hammers (aka Peen) are the general purpose engineer's hammers (sometimes also known as a ‘Machinist's Hammer’).
Features and Uses
They are commonly used to drive Cold Chisels or Punches, to bend and shape metal and to set rivets - especially Snap Head Rivets. Ball Pein Hammers are available in a wide range of head weights from 55gm (2oz) to 1.4kg (48oz). The hammer shaft is positioned nearest to the Pein such that the Face, which is used most, naturally hangs downward without any special effort to keep it so.
- 12oz Hammers (0.45kg) are a good useful size for general work in Design and Technology.
- Larger 2lb hammers (1kg) are used for heavier work such as Blacksmithing for example.
- Smaller hammers (e.g. 4oz and 8oz) are suitable for jewellery work and model engineering applications.
- Brick Hammers between 1lb and 1.5lb weight (450g to 700g) are suitable for school use and are available also with a Scutch Comb Chisel at one end which can be used for shaping brick and masonry.
- A 2lb Lump Hammer (0.9kg) is a good useful size for general work in Design and Technology and home maintenance tasks.
- 2lb to 4lb Sledge Hammers (1-2kg) are a suitable size for general forge-work in Design and Technology since hammers heavier than 4lb would be difficult for students to use.
|Ball Pein Hammer||Blacksmiths Hammers||Brick Hammer||Claw Hammer||Cross Pein Hammer||Lump (or Club) Hammer||Pin Hammer||Sledge Hammer|